Friday, May 12, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #20

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of May, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Wanted Earth
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • I had quite a bit of fun playing and reviewing this miniatures skirmish game. Great minis, some cool component innovations, and solid, dice chucking gameplay should keep this on your radar if you're a fan of dudes on a map, amerithrash games.


From the beginning Earth has remained unnoticed…until now. Various alien races desire Earth for their own reasons and will do anything necessary to dominate the planet and its inhabitants. For the first time in history; humans have a common enemy. Are you ready?

Wanted Earth is an epic miniatures strategy board game for 1-7 players that can be played in 60-120 minutes. Fight as the heroes defending the planet or try to conquer Earth as an invading alien race. Enjoy an action-packed gaming experience without all the confusing rules, millions of tiny pieces, or long and tedious setup.

Every game will be a different experience. Discover unique abilities and play styles with each hero, hero combination, and alien factions that you will play. As you immerse yourself in the Wanted Earth universe, you will discover out-of-this-world artwork, stunning miniatures, and powerful character abilities.





Archmage: Origins
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • Archmage: Origins is a quick, fun little filler game with awesome artwork from SolarFlare Games. It's a prequel to their upcoming Dawn of the Archmage, their first miniatures game that's starting to look pretty awesome.


Heroes of Land, Air & Sea
  • I've mentioned once or twice how much I love the Tiny Epic games from Scott Almes and Gamelyn Games, right? Well here's the first big box game from the team, and it looks awesome.


Barbarians: The Invasion
  • I like Worker Placement games as well as games with a lot of interaction between players, and this one seems to fit the bill. Plus one of the designers also designed Hyperborea, one of my favorite games.


Flow of History
  • I like civilization building games, and this looks like a great card based civ game. It's moved from Indiegogo to Kickstarter, which I think was a great move.


Galaxy of Trian: New Order
  • The original game looked pretty interesting, kind of like an advanced Carcassonne in space with triangular tiles. This update looks amazing, with really cool minis and a lot more complex gameplay.


Children
  • Are you looking for spooky? What's creepier than a house full of ghost children trying to drive you insane?


React: The Organic Chemistry Board Game
  • I love science, my wife used to be a high school physics and chemistry teacher, and we homeschool our kids (who also love science). So whenever I see a game that purports to teach actual science in an actual game, I take notice.


Blood Oath: The Beginning
  • This one has popped up on Kickstarter and Indiegogo several times in the past few years (at least four) and has failed every time. I actually helped out with the language on some of the cards a few years ago, cleaning up a lot of grammar mistakes since they were originally written by a non-native English speaker. However the gameplay has not impressed me, not the least because of the very tight player count (2-3, but best with 3). But I do like to keep my eye on it when it does pop back up to see how it does. It has some interesting mechanics and some great artwork (although I preferred the older box art), so if this is your style of game it might be worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment