Friday, February 10, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #14

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of February, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
Rabbit Island: Explore, Build, Conquer!
  • GJJ Games Review
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • I really, really liked Rabbit Island, and so did everyone I played with. This was one of the few review games I've received that my friends actually asked to play again (and the list of prototypes that they've asked to play multiple times is even shorter). The theme is fun, the mechanics are very simple and easy to learn, and the gameplay is engaging. It's a tough task to build a 4x game that is truly a great gateway game, but Rabbit Island accomplishes that goal and more!


Rabbit Island is a light 4x game for 2-4 players, set on a beautiful deserted island that is just waiting to be planted with carrots! A standard game can be played in roughly 45-90 minutes; the short version of the game times in at 30-45 minutes.

Who will come out on top? Conquer your opponents and feast with your tribe!





Nightmare Forest: Alien Invasion
  • This is a light, fun looking card and dice game where players work together to save the world from an alien invasion. This is from the same designer and publisher that brought you Lords of Rock, which I reviewed last August.


Tortuga 1667
  • The production quality on this game looks outstanding! It plays from 2-9 players and looks like it has enough depth and bluffing to keep everyone engaged the whole game. This is high on my want-to-back list, and the campaign has just exploded!


Quodd Heroes
  • This is a relaunch of a game I featured about two months ago. The new campaign has been completely reworked and now it's even better! More game, cheaper pledge level (with shipping bundled now), and lower goal (it's already funded!). These aren't exactly dice in Quodd Heroes, but dice shaped miniatures. Each side of the miniature has a different ability. This looks like quite a fun game with some new, interesting mechanics and awesome looking minis.


Exodus: Event Horizon
  • A while back I won a copy of both Exodus: Proxima Centauri and Exodus: Edge of Extinction. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get them to the table yet (a 4+ hour game is a bit daunting at times), but the components are awesome and the gameplay looks great. Someday soon I hope to have a day to learn it and then play it. This new expansion looks just as awesome as the rest of the game.


The Grid Game
  • My family loves tile playing games like Qwirkle, Carcassonne, Pentoggle, and yes, even Dominoes. This looks like a beautiful and interesting take on that genre.


Battle Pogs
  • GJJ Games Review
  • Last year I reviewed the coins for a game called Ultra Coins. The coins used in that game were incredible. I'm a bit old to have much affinity for pogs, and the gameplay here sounds super light, but I can attest to the quality of the coins used. They are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment