Friday, October 10, 2014

Quick Review - Pentago

Pentago 
Designer: Tomas Flodén
Publisher: MindtwisterUSA
Quick Review - Pentago
Pentago is a pretty standard connect-X type of 2 player strategy game with a twist.  Each player chooses a color, white or black, and then takes turns placing marbles in an attempt to get five in a row, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally on the board.  The big twist is literally that.  After placing a marble each turn the player must choose one quadrant of the board to rotate 90 degrees.  This means the layout of the board is constantly changing and marbles that don't line up now might after a twist.

I found the game fun to play, but pretty typical for the 2 player strategy games that share similar goals.  The spinning quadrants requires players to really think and plan ahead in order to out maneuver their opponent.

This isn't a game that I'll be running out to find for my collection, however if I stumble upon it in a resale shop or garage sale I'll pick it up.  It would be a good addition to the other 2 player strategy games in my collection, like Pente, Quarto, Score 4, Swivel, Yengo, etc. but not a necessary addition.

Preliminary Rating: 5/10

Did you like this review?  Show your support by clicking the heart at Board Game Links , liking GJJ Games on Facebook , or following on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.

GJJG Game Reviews are independent, unpaid reviews of games I, George Jaros, have played with my family and friends.  Some of these games I own, some are owned by friends, some are borrowed, and some are print and play versions of games.  Where applicable I will indicate if games have been played with kids or adults or a mix (Family Play).  I won't go into extensive detail about how to play the game (there are plenty of other sources for that information and I'll occasionally link to those other sources), but I will give my impressions of the game and how my friends and family reacted to the game.  First Play Impression reviews will only get a single rating of 1-10 (low-high) based on my first impressions of the game during my first time playing.  Hopefully I'll get more chances to play the game and will be able to give it a full review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment